Meet the Military Veterans at AWM&T
Veterans Day is a time to celebrate and honor America’s Veterans for their willingness to serve and sacrifice for the love of country and common good. AAFMAA Wealth Management & Trust LLC (AWM&T) continues that legacy by providing wealth management solutions exclusively to clients from the military community.
We don’t just serve Veterans — many of us also wore the uniform. It is a pleasure to highlight the AWM&T team members who served in the U.S. military.
Get to Know Our Military Veterans
Steve Mannell, CTFA
Branch: U.S. Army
MOS: 18A, Special Forces
Rank: LTC (Ret.)
Years Served: 20 years, 3 months, and 7 days. In hindsight, I loved every minute of it.
- What Called You to Serve: I grew up in a military family and was always inspired by the soldiers around me. I wanted to be like them and serve them well.
- Favorite Duty Station: Caserma Ederle, Vicenza, Italy
- Advice to Those Considering Military Service: Do it. You’ll learn a ton, test your limits, make great friends for life, and have daily opportunities to lead and serve in ways that most people can’t imagine.
- Message to AWM&T Veterans: I’m still inspired by the team around me here at AWM&T – our professional staff and the members of the military community who trust us to help manage their wealth. Working for you is an honor and a privilege.
Joe Farella, CFP®, CLU®, CWS®
Branch: U.S. Marine Corps
MOS: Motor Transport Officer and Infantryman when I was an enlisted Marine
Rank: First Lieutenant
Years Served: I served both as an enlisted Marine and an Officer; it is called being a “ Mustang Marine” from 1979 until 1986.
- What Called You to Serve: My father served in the Army during the Korean War, so I wanted to follow in his footsteps, but only as a Marine.
- Favorite Duty Station: Subic Bay in the Philippines.
- Advice to Those Considering Military Service: Choose wisely what MOS you select and it could be a great place for a career.
- Message to AWM&T Veterans: I TRULY enjoy providing sound financial advice to those who have served as well because I feel like I am making a positive difference in their lives. My advice is sincere and not generated for personal gain.
Joshua Schnelle, CFP®, MBA
Branch: U.S. Army
MOS: 14A and 38B — Air Defense Artillery Officer & Civil Affairs Specialist
Years Served: 8
- What Called You to Serve: Two main factors drew me to military service — a desire to serve and protect America and her allies from global threats, and a desire to better myself personally and professionally.
- Favorite Duty Station: Camp Carroll, South Korea
- Advice to Those Considering Military Service: It will not be easy, but things worth doing rarely are. Give it your all and take advantage of the vast opportunities life in the military can bring you.
- Message to AWM&T Veterans: Many of the Veterans I get the opportunity to serve have spent a career serving our nation. It is an honor to give them what they deserve — fiduciary financial advice and an opportunity to maximize their financial potential.
Contesta Smith, MBA
Branch: U.S. Air Force
MOS: 1N0 — Operations Intelligence
Years Served: 20 years and 8 months
- What Called You to Serve: There were multiple factors that aided in my decision to serve. Three, however, were at the top of the list and they were family tradition, education, and travel.
- Favorite Duty Station: Osan Air Base, South Korea
- Advice to Those Considering Military Service: The journey will be challenging at times but you’ll learn a lot about yourself and your profession. Some of the people that you meet throughout your journey will become an extension of your family.
- Message to AWM&T Veterans: I am honored to have the opportunity to continue working with the men and women who have served our nation.
We Understand the Military
Veterans, we thank you for your service. At AWM&T, we understand that the military isn’t just a job—it’s a lifestyle. We appreciate your desire to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Thank you for considering AWM&T for guidance with your financial plan, investments, or trust. Connect with one of our military money professionals today.